Severe weather can wreak havoc on your garage door. High winds can damage the door itself, while heavy rains can flood the area and cause rusting or other damage to the opener and other components. Taking some simple steps to prepare your garage door for severe weather can help avoid these problems and keep your door working properly for years to come.
- Inspect the door regularly. Check for any cracks or damage to the door itself, as well as to the hardware and tracks. If you find any damage, have it repaired as soon as possible.
- Lubricate all moving parts. This will help keep them working properly and prevent rusting.
- Tighten all bolts and screws. Loose hardware can cause serious damage during high winds.
- If possible, install hurricane straps or other reinforcements. These will help keep the door from being blown off its tracks in strong winds.
- If you live in an area that is prone to flooding, consider installing a flood barrier. This will help keep water from damaging the garage door opener and other components.
By taking these simple steps, you can help ensure that your garage door will be able to withstand the worst that Mother Nature has to offer.
If you’re not sure how to properly prepare your garage door for severe weather, it’s always best to consult with a professional. Garage door repair Glen Allen contractors have the experience and expertise to ensure that your door is properly taken care of. They can also offer advice on which products and reinforcements are best for your particular situation. So if you’re worried about your garage door weathering the storm, be sure to contact a professional for help.